Breaking News

The Qur’anic Verses on the story of Jesus and Mary By Baba Ali Mustapha


          The story of Jesus and His mother (S.A.)  in the Qu’ran as translated by Quds Sharif.
          Jesus mother was Mary (S.A), the daughter of Imran. The Qur’an says: “(Remember) When the wife of Imran said: My Lord! I have vowed unto you that which is my belly as a consecrated (offering). Accept it from me: Lo! you and only you, are the Hearer, the knower” (Q3:35)
          “And when she was delivered, she said: My Lord! Lo! I am delivered of a female- Allah knew best of what she was delivered the male is not as the female, and Lo! I have named her Mary, and Lo! I crave your perfection for her and for her offspring from the outcast”. (Q3:36).
          “And her Lord accepted her with full acceptance and vouchsafed to her a goodly growth; and made Zechariah her guardian. Whenever Zechariah went into the sanctuary where she was, he found that she had food. He said: “O Mary! Whence come unto you this (food)? She answered: ‘It is from Allah. Allah give without stint to whom He will”. (Q3:37).
          Mary (S.A.) was pure and chosen by Allah. “And when the angels said: “O Mary! Lo! Allah has chosen you and made you pure and has preferred you above (all) women of creation (3:42).
          When Mary (S.A.) reached maturity and was in the sanctuary, Allah sent an angel to her: “And Mary, daughter of Imran, whose body was chaste, therefore, we breathed there in something of Qur Spirit”. (Q66:12).
          “ (And Remember) when the angel said: ‘O Mary! Lo! Allah give you glad tiding of a word from Him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, Son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah)” (Q3:45).
          “And He will teach him scripture and wisdom, and the Torah and the Gospel” (Q3:48).
          “And will make a Messenger unto the children of Israel, (saying): Lo! I come unto you with sign from your Lord. I fashion for you out of clay the likeness of a bird, and I breath into it and it is a bird by Allah’s leave. I heal him who was born blind, and the leper and I raise the dead, by Allah’s leave. And I announce unto you what you eat and what you store in your houses. Lo! Here in verify a portent for you, if you are to believers”. (Q3:49).
          Before Mary (S.A.) conceived, she said: “How can I have a son whom no mortal has touched me, neither have I been unchasted”. (Q19:20).
          He said: “So (it will be) your Lord says: it is easy for me. And (it will be) that we may maker of him a revelation for mankind and mercy from us, and it is a thing ordained”. (Q19:21).
          “And she conceived of him and she withdrew with him to a far place” (Q19:22).
          “And the pangs of childbirth drove her unto the trunk of the palm-tree. She said: “Oh, would that I had died ere this and had become a thing of naught, forgotten!” (Q19:23).

          “Then (one) cried unto her from below her, saying : grieve not! Your Lord has placed a rivulet beneath you” (Q19:24).
          “And shake the trunk of the palm-tree towards you. You will cause ripe dates to fall upon you”. (Q19:25).
          “So eat and drink and be consoled. And if you meet any mortal, say: Lo! I have vowed a fact unto the Beneficent, and may not speak this day to any mortal” (Q19:26).
          “Then she brought him to her own folk, carrying him. They said: ‘O Mary! You have come with an amazing thing” (Q19:27).
          “Oh Sister of Aaron! You father was not a wicked man nor was your mother a harlot” (Q19:28).
          “Then she pointed to him. They said: ‘How can we talk to one who is in the cradle a young boy” (Q19:29).
          “He speaks: ‘I am the slave of Allah. He has given me the scripture and has appointed me a prophet”. (19:30).
          “And has made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and he enjoined upon me prayer and alms-giving so long as I remain alive(Q19:31).
          “And (has made me) dutiful towards her who bore me, and has not made me arrogant, unblessed” (Q19:32).
          “Peace on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive” (Q19:33).
          “Such was Jesus, son of Mary: (this is) a statement of truth concerning which they doubt” (Q19:34)
          “Jesus said: ‘And (I come) confirming that which was before me of the Torah and to make lawful same of that which was forbidden unto you. I come unto you with a sign from your Lord, so keep your duty to Allah and obey me”. (Q3:50).
          “Lo! Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is a straight path”.(Q3:51).
          “But when Jesus became conscious of their unbelief, he cried: “Who will be my helpers in the cause of Allah? The disciples said: we will be Allah’s helpers, we believe in Allah and bear you witness that we have surrendered (unto Him)” (Q3:52).
          “Our Lord! We believe in that which you have revealed and we follow him whom you have sent. Enroll us among those who witness (to the truth)” (Q3:53).
          “And they (the unbelievers) schemed, and Allah schemed (against them) and Allah is the best of schemers” (Q3:54).

          “(And remember) when Allah said: “O Jesus! Lo! I am gathering you and causing you to ascent to unto me…………..”
          “And because of their saying: “We slew the Messiah, Jesus, Son of Mary, Allah’s Messenger. They slew him not nor crucified, but it appeared unto them; and Lo! Those who disagree concerning it are in doubt there of…………” (Q4:157)
          “But Allah took him up unto Himself. Allah was able, Mighty, wise”. (Q4:158).
Baba Ali Mustapha is with the Department of Planning and Research, Ministry of Environment, Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria.

Reference:
          The research work was originally published in MAHJUBAH Vol. 15 No.1 (140) Jan. 1996, published by Islamic thought Foundation, Islamic Republic of Iran

No comments